Thursday, December 10, 2009

say kimchi.

Today, I was gifted a giant tupperware of kimchi by one of my kind but generally shy coworkers.

For those of you not in the know, kimchi is a sort of very spicy cabbage. It is a dish which, along with rice, can be found at almost every meal in Korea. Its something of a staple. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi )

When I thanked her, I commented on how much she had given me. (Seriously, this thing is massive). She replied, through my english speaking co-teacher, that it was no trouble as she had made quite a lot of it.

How much kimichi did she make, you ask? Why, 200 cabbages worth. Thats right, two hundred cabbages went into her kimichi making adventure. She has a seperate refrigerator in her home just for kimichi. Apparently, this is quite common in Korea. And no, its not one of those cute mini refrigerators. I asked. Shes got a whole fridge full of kimchi at her house.

And now, I've got a little bit in mine. I've also got soju, making me basically korean now. I just hope my bagels don't start to smell like kimchi....

Oh, ROK, i love you so.

No comments: