Wednesday, April 21, 2010

looking forward, looking back,

you know you're getting older when you start feeling nostalgic for a time and a place you haven't actually left yet. This year is flying by. (Is it really midterms already? When did we get to the end of April?) Everytime I blink, another month has gone by. And while getting the fulbright is a huge honor and opportunity, it has made August a more difinitive end point than it had previously been.
 
Korea has grown on me, and in the end completely won me over. I was actually considering staying for another 6 months, thinking there was little chance of me getting a fb grant. shows what I know. Anyhow, I keep making mental lists of all the things I'll miss about Korea. I thought perhaps I'd post a few.
 
#5: The Korean approach to English education
 
The inevitable awkwardness of English (EFL) instruction keeps me entertained throughout the day. Here are some of my favorite prompts from the midterm:
 
A: When you talk like that I get upset.
B: I'm sorry, I'll be more considerate in the future.
 
A: Excuse me, waiter! This food is terrible. The steak is undercooked and the potatoes are cold.
B: I'm sorry, I'll take it back right away and bring you a new dish.
 
A: Why didn't you show up yesterday?
B: Something came up and I couldn't get away. I'm really sorry.
A: Did your phone break too? why didn't you call?
 
A: This isn't the room I reserved. I asked for a room on the business floor with an Internet connection.
B: I'm very sorry, ma'am. I'll call the front desk immediately and get this straightened out.
 
A: How did the test go?
B: Awful, I don't even want to talk about it.
 
A: I'll let it go this time, but don't ever do it again.
B: Thank you, I promise it wort happen again.
 
A: I'm looking for an engagement ring.
B: Yes sir! Right this way! We have a full range of diamonds here. I am sure you'll find something suitable.
 
A: You're looking slimmer these days. Have you been working out?
B: You know, everybody is telling me that! I should start working out more often.
 
A: Could I borrow your skis this weekend?
B: Sorry, I already lent them to my brother.
 
A: It looks like Johnny's going to make it through the surgery.
B: Oh, thats great to hear.
 
Perhaps these are only funny in context, or only to me and my bizzare sense of humor. But really, you have to appriciate the absurdity of my 9 classes of first years all memorizing these specific phrases. And what fourteen year old is shopping for engagement rings, anyway?
 
Here's to you, Korea. 건배!

No comments: