Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Rachel Nusbaum: Professional Foreigner

So, my life these days is pretty incredible. I'm all aboard the amor fati train (as John said the other day, any sentence that begins with 'this is probably just because I've read too much Nietzsche but...' is probably going to lead somewhere good.) Even so, today was exceptionally fun and exciting.

My morning walk over the river, past the castle and along the railroad tracks was beautiful as always. Things took a turn for the even-better circa 9:30, when we began plotting the school's thanksgiving program over instant coffee and homemade cake (my favorite 15 mins of the day: coffee break). Of course, I maintained that food was the most importaint part and should be dealt with accordingly. It was then suggested that american football is also a thanksgiving tradition, and so plans for a thanksgiving football tournament (american style) quickly followed. (Please note: at this point, I had to run over and wikipedia 'American Football' to double check on the rules and how many players are required. oops.... ) Perhaps the funniest part of all this will come in November, when I am inevitably forced to take part in said American Football tournament. I will try not to disgrace myself or America, but trying is really all I can do. ^^

After all that fun, I left school and challenged the czech postal system for the first time. I managed to send some post cards, but they were not amused by my tiny (but adorable!) korean stationary. Can I help it if bear shaped cards with tiny ears don't come in regulation postage size?

I also managed to get myself a discount card for the train, which I will be taking frequently.

Then, I had dinner with my new friend Kim Uri. She is one of the few people I've met in FM who is actually my age (most people I know are under 20 or over 30. they are all lovely, but there's something about going out with a group of 20 somethings I miss.) She also happens to be korean, which is excellent. Mostly because her Unni came to visit from Prague, and brought her mad korean food. As further proof that the universe generally provides me with anything I ask for, sooner or later, I finally got the Kimbap I have been craving since the end of August. Is it sad that I am so excited about food that generally costs a dollar? mm, i dont care. Kimbap sarang indeed.

So we had a really fun time, and because her friend didn't speak nearly as much english as Yuri and I didn't want her to feel bored or left out I got brave and busted out my janky, gramatically incorrect Korean. much to their amusement. I've never heard the phrase "oh, otokay? nomu kyopta!" (oh, what to do? Its really cute) so many times in my entire life. We talked about dramas, and how weird it is that I know all this stuff about korea, and once or twice I even managed to make Yuri laugh so hard she fell down. Then we went for a little walk to digest, and I got sent home with a purse full of kimbab. So much win. Thank you, Frydek-Mistek. Could you be more awesome if you tried?

No comments: