Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Jeju-Do and other adventures

Yesterday was the anniversary of my school's founding. In Korea, it is customary for both students and teachers to have the School's Birthday as a day off, which is an excellent practice if I do say so myself. So, I took the long weekend as a chance to finally visit Jeju-Do, a picturesqe island just south of the Korean peninsula popular with honeymooing couples and school field trips.

 Jeju. Both beautiful, and delightfully weird.

Traditional Lava Rock Statue Guy

Kimbab. The Ultimate Travel Snack.
(I was really excited that the warning on the chopsticks wasn't a random Konglish typo. There actually was a toothpick included.)

Getting ready to climb Sunrise Peak


On my return, since cultural assimilation is now my favorite hobby, I did the polite thing and brought some chocolates (made from special jeju-do oranges) to my prinicpal. He said he was sorry I was leaving them after this year, and then made crying gestures with his hands to emphasise his point. After the stream of finger-tears had ebbed, we both bowed alot and I made my way out of his office because I'd pretty much run out of things to stay. Just another reason why my job is awesome. Even on days when I wish I wasn't at work.

No comments: