Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thailand



February 6. Thailand.
I had almost forgotten the thrill of being somewhere wholly new, somewhere entirely different from any place you'd been before. Bangkok is like nowhere that I have ever been.

February 8. I think. Chumphon, Thailand.
I realized, watching the astonishing stars out the window of our train, how radical the suggestion to love thy neighbor really is. Reading the brief historical summary of the region helpfully included in my guidebook convinced me that its past is much like that of most other nations. Land disputes and long cherished rivalries with neighboring peoples growing stronger over the years as each dominates and is dominated by it's neighbors in turn.

We took a ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao, aka paradise.



there's some weirdness in the photo from the negative scans, but I think you can see why I am strongly considering relocating myself to this lovely little island.

Next post, Cambodia. Until then, be well and travel safe. -rachel

No comments: