Monday, March 28, 2011

1am philosophizing

just now I was brushing my teeth and, as often happens during this activity, my mind began to wander. I found myself thinking about my colloquium, as I do from time to time (probably because when people you respect ask you questions you can't answer fully they tend to stick with you until you can solve them. either that, or I need a new hobby.) and I somehow wound up back at Socrates.

the thought that specifically sent me running back to the computer was that what Socrates really understood and we seem to have lost is the importance of understanding for the polis. not this sort of narrow, overly-rational understanding of our personal self-interest as defined for us by parties and politicans whereby we as voters are supposed to choose almost automatically the platform that will best fill our bank accounts or defend our borders or restore morality or something along those lines. calling such A plus B equals C thinking 'understanding' seems to stretch, if not dishonor, the meaning of the word.

No the understanding Socrates wanted to give birth to in others was something broader, deeper, more fluid and alive. Understanding transgresses boundaries and escapes the limits of rationality, utilitarianism and even the self. Understanding dares to ask not just "which is best?" but "what is the good?" Understanding means asking questions without answers. It is ceaseless and exhausting and will yield no political platform or program of governance. It produces no tangible results or marketable skills.

And yet,

and yet without understanding all our rational choices and good intentions and polling and platforms and political maneuverings are all useless. I look at the political scene and I find my self wondering how this could possibly be happening. How can people believe and act the way they do?

Sometimes its an honest disagreement about values and priorities, and that I can accept. However, I think much of the nonsense we hear is allowed to dominate only because we lack a certain fundamental understanding. We do not understand the world, or our role within it. We do not understant those around us or the complex web of interdependence we inhabit together. We do not even understand the role of government in our lives; what we should demand from it and what we should never allow it to do.

So, I'm going to keep at this philosopy thing for as long as I can. Giving up on understanding just feels too much like giving up on the world.

No comments: