Friday, March 4, 2011

spring fever comes early this year

Just when I was so sick of winter that I thought I might go crazy (Literally, if I saw snow once more i was contemplating loosing it), good news has mercifully arrived. What has me so elated? the simple fact that yesterday, as i was leaving my czech lesson with irena at 5:10pm, it was still light out. Not crazy bright, obviously. The sun was decidedly on its way towards the other side of the world. However, not having to walk home in the soul crushing blackness of full-dark-before-dinnertime made my heart leap, and i may have tried to sneak in an inconspicuous victory dance. Sweet is the approach of spring. Do I sound like a crazy person? perhaps. But in this life, it really is the little things.  Today is friday, the sun is shining, my students are behaving themselves (and actually learning, to boot!) and ahead of me is a weekend with highs touching 40F. Life is good.
 
Also putting a smile on my face are my kiddos. Today we were discussing american culture so i gave them a worksheet on Core American values. I was pretty sure this was going to be waaay to hard for them and was planning all sorts of ways to level it down, but i´m glad that i gave them a chance to surprise me because they really, really did. We wound up having a really productive conversation about the different values held by americans and czechs, as well as where they tend to overlap, and i think they learned something new and importaint. I love feeling like a real educator and not just a substitute teacher with native pronunciation.
 
So heres to you, March. i´m beginning to like the looks of you.

No comments: